Date: April 24, 2014, 01:48:41 AM
Good Night
Good Night
Please welcome evlams, our newest member.
10 Guests, 0 Users
Last 5 Shouts:

teecatness

Yesterday at 06:32:12 PM
Today is National Cherry Cheesecake Day.

Imagine

April 22, 2014, 04:32:24 PM
Ok speedy...It's been two days... time to lay off the funny weed....  
:lol:

speedy

April 20, 2014, 09:15:32 AM
 :baked:

boxofrain

April 20, 2014, 07:10:34 AM
Today is international 420 day!

teecatness

April 19, 2014, 05:17:43 AM
Today is National Amaretto Day.

Show 50 latest

Author Topic: Is having a Bible in the classroom a Mount Vernon Teacher's right?  (Read 218209 times)

*JAM*

• Global Moderator
  • Honorable Member
    • my favorite site to play on!
Re: Is having a Bible in the classroom a Mount Vernon Teacher's right?
« Reply #4875 on: October 28, 2009, 02:10:09 PM »
this news story was on the frontpage of yahoo a bit ago..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_god_button_home_depot
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. A former cashier for The Home Depot who has been wearing a "One nation under God" button on his work apron for more than a year has been fired, he says because of the religious reference. The company claims that expressing such personal beliefs is simply not allowed.
"I've worn it for well over a year and I support my country and God," Trevor Keezor said Tuesday. "I was just doing what I think every American should do, just love my country."
The American flag button Keezer wore in the Florida store since March 2008 says "One nation under God, indivisible."
Earlier this month, he began bringing a Bible to read during his lunch break at the store in the rural town of Okeechobee, about 140 miles north of Miami. That's when he says The Home Depot management told him he would have to remove the button.
Keezer refused, and he was fired on Oct. 23, he said.
"It feels kind of like a punishment, like I was punished for just loving my country," Keezer said.
A Home Depot spokesman said Keezer was fired because he violated the company's dress code. /quote]

Steve.Deserved.Better

• Administrator
  • Three Star Member
« Reply #4876 on: October 28, 2009, 02:27:04 PM »
Slippery slope has turned into a slalom.  :read:   
He who is void of virtuous attachments in private life is, or very soon will be, void of all regard for his country. There is seldom an instance of a man guilty of betraying his country, who had not before lost the feeling of moral obligations in his private connections.
Samuel Adams

The_Rooster

• Titanium Club Member
« Reply #4877 on: October 30, 2009, 01:07:08 PM »
Are you going to do more stories ?  I know that RHoppe is out of the area so there won't be any rapid updates on Pandasthumb
From my story on KP

Bubbleburst

• Platinum Club Member
  • Bulking
« Reply #4878 on: October 30, 2009, 03:06:12 PM »
I'm at the mercy of WMVO on this one, unfortunately. They don't have anyone with a clear enough schedule and experienced enough to handle candidate interviews, which I've had the last two days.

I cautioned that my coverage may be hindered by my ability to find a replacement show host. I hate that. I'd rather be there every day covering this. But it looks like I will be back in the Freshwater hearing on Monday, though.

seabiscuit

• Diamond Club
« Reply #4879 on: October 30, 2009, 03:36:12 PM »
I'm at the mercy of WMVO on this one, unfortunately. They don't have anyone with a clear enough schedule and experienced enough to handle candidate interviews, which I've had the last two days.

I cautioned that my coverage may be hindered by my ability to find a replacement show host. I hate that. I'd rather be there every day covering this. But it looks like I will be back in the Freshwater hearing on Monday, though.

Adam

If you show up on Monday, you'll be the only one there.  The hearing dates resume later in November.
"The pen is mightier than the sword", Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Bubbleburst

• Platinum Club Member
  • Bulking
« Reply #4880 on: October 30, 2009, 03:38:44 PM »
Clearly a demonstration of the fact I haven't been there the last couple days, LOL!

See you in November!

seabiscuit

• Diamond Club
« Reply #4881 on: October 30, 2009, 04:56:53 PM »
I just saw a post by Clockstopper but can't remember where I saw it with the scheduled dates next month.  If someone doesn't post them before I find it again, I'll add that information here later.

scwmsm

• Aluminum Club Member
« Reply #4882 on: November 02, 2009, 09:13:39 PM »
This blogger's assessment of Coach Dave is right on target!  And funny too!

http://www.madrigalmaniac.com/2009/10/29/daubenmire-testifies-at-freshwater-hearing/

ClockStopper

• Gold Club Member
« Reply #4883 on: November 02, 2009, 11:28:15 PM »
I just saw a post by Clockstopper but can't remember where I saw it with the scheduled dates next month.  If someone doesn't post them before I find it again, I'll add that information here later.
The hearing will resume November 17 for three days, and there are a couple of days penciled in during December.

And there are a couple of new posts up on Panda's Thumb.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:29:49 PM by ClockStopper »

*JAM*

• Global Moderator
  • Honorable Member
    • my favorite site to play on!
« Reply #4884 on: November 03, 2009, 08:53:25 AM »
This blogger's assessment of Coach Dave is right on target!  And funny too!

http://www.madrigalmaniac.com/2009/10/29/daubenmire-testifies-at-freshwater-hearing/

thanks for posting, my favorite part was this..
   The only thing Dave Daubenmire is afraid of is someone turning off the spotlight.   

seabiscuit

• Diamond Club
« Reply #4885 on: November 03, 2009, 10:06:13 AM »
Here's a little side bar and I think it's telling about the Daubenmires' "vision" of things.

At Wednesday's hearing last week during a break, Mrs. Daubenmire was speaking with Levi Stickle.  I thought I caught what she said to him but I wanted to be sure so I asked her to repeat her comment.  She stated to me that she asked Levi who at the hearing "was good and who was bad". 

Obviously someone attending the hearing for the first time might want to know who is supporting John Freshwater, who is not but to twist it to "who is good, who is bad" speaks volumes about how Mrs. Daubenmire views those who don't agree with the Freshwater agenda.  I wonder how her husband feels about the subject?  I think I can guess.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:08:02 AM by seabiscuit »

ClockStopper

• Gold Club Member
« Reply #4886 on: November 16, 2009, 03:47:58 PM »
The administrative hearing on John Freshwater's termination was scheduled to resume tomorrow, Nov 17, but now it has been postponed until Dec 10.  I fear that this will not end during the reign of the current monarch.

The_Rooster

• Titanium Club Member
« Reply #4887 on: November 16, 2009, 04:00:06 PM »
I have an idea, December will be delayed so they can get Thompson on the school board come January. Not sure if there is a strategy to that, but it's just a thought that has running around my skull.

I'll re-iterate it's just an idea....  truth and facts have been far more stranger when it comes to the Freshwater debacle.

Bubbleburst

• Platinum Club Member
  • Bulking
« Reply #4888 on: November 16, 2009, 04:45:09 PM »
Rooster, you're a worldly kind of guy. Let me get your opinion on this.

Is Steve Thompson qualified to vote on the Freshwater matter, or should he, for obvious reasons, abstain? I'm thinking that if he doesn't, a legal challenge could be mounted over this.

That's just speculative analysis on my part. I've seen far less obvious potential conflicts result in abstention in government votes over the past 10 years.

The_Rooster

• Titanium Club Member
« Reply #4889 on: November 16, 2009, 06:20:39 PM »
I believe that if he doesn't abstain his vote - he'll leave the door wide open for a huge mess.

Keep in mind it was Thompson's Community Council of Free Expression that has given money to help fund John Freshwater's defense.  I'm not sure but I'd think ethically there is something wrong with being a part of one group suing another group you belong to.  He's caught in the middle of that brewing storm.

But if he were to abstain, I'm not sure he'd be included on the Federal Lawsuit that Freshwater has filed against the MVCSD Board.

As for him being qualified, I'm sure he is and the election by his peers means he more or less met the legal requirements to the seat.

My fear in all this, is the kind of information Thompson will be privy to.  I just don't like the idea of him having access, given his preference to Team Freshwater.  It's more of a conjecture at this point, but the longer the case draws out things could change dramatically and people will wonder why? 

Am I connecting the dots too early?  Maybe, but it's just an idea I've had about him on the School Board since he started running.

And it's funny that when you go to the Community Council for Free Expression's website you can't find the members list on their links list.  But I've kept it.

http://www.bibleonthedesk.com/communitycouncil.php

anything