MVOhio.net

Is having a Bible in the classroom a Mount Vernon Teacher's right?

phred

• GO BUCKEYES !
  • O-H-I-O
Re: Is having a Bible in the classroom a Mount Vernon Teacher's right?
« Reply #5415 on: May 27, 2010, 08:25:41 AM »

:omg:

Thanks, Seabiscuit.  What a catch.

The_Rooster

« Reply #5416 on: May 27, 2010, 09:10:20 AM »
I've had more than a lion's share of discussion on this issue, but something I just "discovered" really has set me off.

In the last couple of days of testimony, students were called into testify.  Some of these kids are special needs and one I believe had a caretaker testify on their behalf.

Media and bloggers alike kept their identities protected.  But at least one, didn't.

http://creationfacts.synthasite.com/freshwater-hearings.php

This is a list of the people and students who testified.  I was mortified when I saw students names posted.

These people will stop at nothing.  They lack couth and tact.

It's been pretty much established that the bias is strong on both sides, but when you post kids names on the internet, you've just reached a new kind of low.

rabbit

« Reply #5417 on: May 27, 2010, 10:59:49 AM »
It would seem to me that you are doing the same by directing people to the website. Have you no shame either?

The_Rooster

« Reply #5418 on: May 27, 2010, 11:17:27 AM »

I just prefer to have my facts backed up with proof.  Otherwise, it's just a bunch of bull.

It would seem to me that you are doing the same by directing people to the website. Have you no shame either?

The Mothman

« Reply #5419 on: May 27, 2010, 11:43:42 AM »
That has been a longstanding tactic of Team Freshwater, out the students.  It started with their desire to publicly out the young man that was burned.  And then lo and behold the family got so many threats at home that they were forced to leave town.

It's despicable.
I come in peace to warn you earthlings of imminent disasters.

The_Rooster

« Reply #5420 on: May 27, 2010, 03:37:30 PM »
Also on the team Freshwater front, the two website set up in his defense are off-line.

bibleonthedesk.com and supportfreshwater.com are gone.

« Reply #5421 on: May 27, 2010, 04:17:40 PM »
I've had more than a lion's share of discussion on this issue, but something I just "discovered" really has set me off.

In the last couple of days of testimony, students were called into testify.  Some of these kids are special needs and one I believe had a caretaker testify on their behalf.

Media and bloggers alike kept their identities protected.  But at least one, didn't.

http://creationfacts.synthasite.com/freshwater-hearings.php

This is a list of the people and students who testified.  I was mortified when I saw students names posted.

These people will stop at nothing.  They lack couth and tact.

It's been pretty much established that the bias is strong on both sides, but when you post kids names on the internet, you've just reached a new kind of low.

The media has been publishing the names of witnesses, including students, throughout the hearing.

« Reply #5422 on: May 27, 2010, 04:36:15 PM »
That has been a longstanding tactic of Team Freshwater, out the students.  It started with their desire to publicly out the young man that was burned.  And then lo and behold the family got so many threats at home that they were forced to leave town.

It's despicable.

The media has been publishing the names of witness, including students, throughout the hearing.

How is publishing names that are part of the public record “outing”?

The last batch of students that testified were called on Mr. Freshwater’s behalf. What is there to “out” about these witnesses?

Regarding the law on this matter, referee R. Lee Shepherd has this to say (September 8, 2008):

“The Mount Vernon City School District Board of Education has filed a Motion requesting that the hearing in the matter of the termination of the employment of John Freshwater be held in closed session. This motion has been opposed by Mr. Freshwater. […]

“Ohio Revised Code 3319.16 […] provides, inter alia:

“’the hearing shall be private unless the teacher requests a public hearing’

“In this matter, by written request of legal counsel, the teacher has requested a public hearing. This statutory provision is plain and unequivocal. It is subject to one and only one interpretation. The hearing must be public if the teacher so requests. Ohio case law interpreting Ohio Revised Code 3319.16 in no way modifies this mandate.”

The_Rooster

« Reply #5423 on: May 27, 2010, 04:41:45 PM »
The media hasn't twisted the facts like those that support John Freshwater seem to do.  His last little 6 minute speech which you filmed and published to the internet, does just that. 

That list on that site, is a gross misrepresentation of what happened and what was said, and for you to cite "They did it, so I can do it too." is a flaccid argument.

That site is a perversion.

« Reply #5424 on: May 27, 2010, 05:17:46 PM »
In general, I don't agree with mountvernon1805's posts because it is clear that he/she is biased.  But, I did look at the listing of names on that website, which Rooster cited, and found that none of the names on the witness list had a learning disabled designation listed.  So, in my interpretation, I just see that website as listing the witnesses and don't read anything more into it. But, in general, the aforementioned website is biased as well.

The Mothman

« Reply #5425 on: May 28, 2010, 10:30:26 AM »
The hearing was automatically private.  Freshwater had to choose to make it public.  He did so, IMHO, so that he could out juveniles to the public.
I come in peace to warn you earthlings of imminent disasters.

seabiscuit

« Reply #5426 on: May 28, 2010, 04:34:15 PM »
The hearing was automatically private.  Freshwater had to choose to make it public.  He did so, IMHO, so that he could out juveniles to the public.

Yes, that's exactly what he did and with great intention.  It was one of the things he did that truly let me know he wasn't all about the kids! 
"The pen is mightier than the sword", Edward Bulwer-Lytton

« Reply #5427 on: May 28, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »
And I agree with the recent points that there was a motive behind his intentions.  My only point is that in the most recent posts about that website, it, at least, doesn't label the students based on their abilities.

« Reply #5428 on: May 30, 2010, 06:33:33 PM »
To anyone interested, the last episode of Law and Order, "The Rubber Room" episde, had a reference to a science teacher using a Tesla coil to burn crosses on student's arms.

How about that!  This situation has now been woven into a television show!  You can watch it on the link below:

http://ch131.com/

If you want to see just the referenced part, you can go to about 18 minutes into the show and that's about where it is discussed.

The New York Times and the New York Post both wrote articles about this episode focusing on how it shed light on the problems related to rubber rooms and overblown complaints.

wonderin

« Reply #5429 on: May 31, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
Hey Dude it's a TV show!   :holysheep: