MVOhio.net

Congress clears health care bill

Imagine

• MVOhio
Congress clears health care bill
« on: March 21, 2010, 11:13:16 PM »
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Summoned to success by President Barack Obama, the Democratic-controlled Congress approved historic legislation Sunday night extending health care to tens of millions of uninsured Americans and cracking down on insurance company abuses, a climactic chapter in the century-long quest for near universal coverage.

Widely viewed as dead two months ago, the Senate-passed bill cleared the House on a 219-212 vote, with Republicans unanimous in opposition.

Congressional officials said they expected Obama to sign the bill as early as Tuesday.

A second measure - making changes in the first - was lined up for passage later in the evening. It would then go to the Senate, where Democratic leaders said they had the votes to pass it.

Crowds of protesters outside the Capitol shouted "just vote no" in a futile attempt to stop the inevitable taking place inside a House packed with lawmakers and ringed with spectators in the galleries above.

Across hours of debate, House Democrats predicted the major bill, costing $940 billion over a decade, would rank with other great social legislation of recent decades.

"We will be joining those who established Social Security, Medicare and now, tonight, health care for all Americans, said Speaker Nancy Pelosi, partner to Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., in the grueling campaign to pass the legislation.

"This is the civil rights act of the 21st century," added Rep. Jim Clyburn of South Carolina, the top-ranking black member of the House.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HEALTH_CARE_OVERHAUL?SITE=ILEDW&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Sometimes MVOhio feels like a group therapy session being held in the middle of a 3-ring circus.

ancients

• If The Market Is Not Free, The People Are Not Free
Re: Congress clears health care bill
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:22:06 PM »
I believe my Medicare advantage was just voted out of existence.  That means my health insurance was just voted out of existence. I don't think that will make my health care better. I think I get to bite the bullet and if anything gets worse, I get to die. 

That sure does not sound like the words they sold it with.

speedy

• gunslinger plants one on you
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 11:28:13 PM »
 :'(
All comments posted by speedy are merely opinions. These opinions should not be construed in any manner which suggest that they are threatening. All posts are in jest and protected by Freedom of Speech.  As such, not subject to subpoena, criminal charges, civil charges and the like.

sammy

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 11:37:06 PM »
Just waiting for the fallout......
It's better to have a few REAL friends than to have a thousand FAKE ones.

ancients

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 11:44:22 PM »
The government is now allowed to tell us what to buy. They called it buy so people would not realise it is a tax, and a huge tax. New government rules(remember now they can be made by appointed people) If you smoke then health care cost + 25%, if you drink health care cost + 25%, if you weigh to much health care cost + 25%, if you weigh to little health care cost + 25%...... were will it end.

ancients

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 11:47:17 PM »
All student loans were taken over by this bill - the government and the government only can decide if you can get a loan. You better not be a Conservative.

Jafo

• [Enter witty comment here]
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 11:49:41 PM »
The government is now allowed to tell us what to buy. They called it buy so people would not realise it is a tax, and a huge tax. New government rules(remember now they can be made by appointed people) If you smoke then health care cost + 25%, if you drink health care cost + 25%, if you weigh to much health care cost + 25%, if you weigh to little health care cost + 25%...... were will it end.

I'm glad I don't drink or smoke then! I'm losing weight so i don't die in 15 years. If that saves me money.. Amen and pass the soy milk gravy!

Well it better than the republican plan for uninsured >>>> "If you are sick or poor? die soon!" <<<< some plan!  Nah..

runner76

• Dancing in the Moonlight
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 11:54:38 PM »
This makes me want to puke.  :holysheep: 
Runnin' Down a Dream

ancients

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 11:56:33 PM »
Remember - a Democrat said that, and very theatrically. Instead now the government will decide if your value to the state is higher than the cost of you cure.

I know they will use other words - but it is what they will do, that is how accountants make decisions.

cateyes

• [Here is looking at you]
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 11:58:11 PM »
  Communist said....they would never fire a shot.....well they are within us....destroying our loved America from within...this is a major step for them.

How do they ever believe this can be funded...and not totally destroy our nation.

ancients

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 12:04:06 AM »
They don't, they know they will ration, and that means they will kill off the old that are sick.

What is sad is they will make up names for the reasons to hold back health care from some, and get away with it.

ancients

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 12:05:50 AM »
If you have passed a law that makes every person in the country buy something - boy do you need a police force.

ancients

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 12:07:18 AM »
I forgive Jafo for liking to be told what to do by the government.

harper

• Jak plants one on you
  • Earth is full, go home.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 12:10:29 AM »
how about 17,000 more IRS employees for a start, all  able to ignore HIPPA, as they dole out fines, penalties, and  the judgment on the 'worthiness' of your insurance....and the democrats complained about the patriot act...

this is how we pay interest on the debt, wanna guess what those rates will look like after the AAA rating kissed off?

Moody’s warns: USA may lose AAA Bond rating
October 23, 2009 Bookmark and Share

The United States my lose its AAA rating if it can not control its deficit hike, rating agency Moody’s Investors Service warned on Thursday. Steven Hess, Moody’s lead analyst for the United States, said in a TV interview that the AAA rating of the United States is “not guaranteed.” He said if the US deficit does not drop to a sustainable level in the next three to four years, the US rating will be “in jeopardy.” The US government posted a record deficit of US$1.417T in the FY ended Sept. 30. Stimulus package to combat the severe recession and a series of bailout rescues to banks and automakers have put a heavy burden on government spending..

http://stockpreacher.com/2009/10/23/moodys-warns-usa-may-lose-aaa-bond-rating/

Oh, we were warned:

China sells $34.2bn of US treasury bonds
Analysts fear Beijing's move may suggest a loss of faith in American government's economic policy
Chinese premier Wen Jiabao has said he is 'a little bit worried' about the safety of his country's investments in US bonds.

China sold $34bn (£21.5bn) worth of US government bonds in December, raising fears that ­Beijing is using its financial ­muscle to signal that it has lost confidence in American economic policy.US treasury figures for the period ending in December 2009 show that, following the sale, China is no longer the largest overseas holder of US treasury bonds. Beijing ended the year sitting on $755.4bn worth of US government debt, compared to Japan's $768.8bn.

Since the sub-prime crisis that began on Main Street USA grew to engulf the global economy, China's leaders have repeatedly expressed concerns about US policy. December's $34bn sell-off made only a tiny dent in Beijing's total holdings of US assets, which amount to well over $1tn when stakes in American companies, as well as treasury bills, are taken into account.

But the news intensified concerns about China's appetite for bankrolling ever-widening American deficits. Premier Wen Jiabao told reporters last year: "We have made a huge amount of loans to the United States. Of course we are concerned about the safety of our assets. To be honest, I'm a little bit worried."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/feb/17/china-sells-us-treasury-bonds

and more recently:

Concerns grow over China's sale of US bonds
Evidence is mounting that Chinese sales of US Treasury bonds over recent months are intended as a warning shot to Washington over escalating political disputes rather than being part of a routine portfolio shift as thought at first.

By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, International Business Editor
Published: 5:42PM GMT 23 Feb 2010

A front-page story in the state’s China Information News said the record $34bn sale of US bonds in December was a "commendable" move. The article was republished by the National Bureau of Statistics, giving it a stronger imprimatur.

It follows a piece last week in China Daily, the Politburo’s voice, citing an official from the Chinese Academy of Sciences praising the move to "slash" holdings of US debt. This was published on the same day that US President Barack Obama received the Dalai Lama at the White House, defying protests from Beijing.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/currency/7300770/Concerns-grow-over-Chinas-sale-of-US-bonds.html

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:26:29 AM by harper »
No, my powers can only be used for good.

ancients

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 12:14:45 AM »
We do have the hope that one of the state law suits will find it unconstitutional. If not we can just know that it, no longer has any meaning.