Good evening
Good evening
Please welcome crystaltong, our newest member.

92 Guests, 0 Users

Steve.Deserved.Better

June 19, 2017, 09:17:36 AM
It's Summer in Ohio finally!  Enjoy and have a safe one!

Steve.Deserved.Better

April 24, 2017, 06:51:59 PM
If you mean, me myself and I.  Then yes.  Hey Runner!!! How ya doing?!

runner76

April 23, 2017, 09:32:38 PM
Steve.Deserved.Better, do you mean 'I am he as you are he as you are me
and we are all together"?

Steve.Deserved.Better

April 17, 2017, 09:25:21 AM
You were here and I wasn't and now I'm here and you aren't.  Have a great day!!

"V"

April 17, 2017, 07:41:44 AM
?????

Author Topic: Abraham Lincoln's body exhumed and viewed in 1901  (Read 10669 times)

Offline gunslinger

Re: Abraham Lincoln's body exhumed and viewed in 1901
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 04:20:54 PM »
In an ironic twist of faith, Robert Todd Lincoln had his life saved by Edwin Booth, brother of John Wilkes Booth.  Edwin (1833-1893) was considered by many to be among the finest Shakespearean actors of his day.  His most famous part was Hamlet, which he portrayed more often than any other actor before or since, including a run of 100 consecutive nights.  Edwin was also a Unionist and Lincoln supporter which caused great dissension between him and his brother John.

Edwin Booth and Robert Lincoln

In an interesting coincidence, Edwin Booth saved Abraham Lincoln's son, Robert, from serious injury or even death. The incident occurred on a train platform in Jersey City, New Jersey. The exact date of the incident is uncertain, but it is believed to have taken place in late 1864 or early 1865, shortly before Edwin's brother, John Wilkes Booth, assassinated President Lincoln.

Robert Lincoln recalled the incident in a 1909 letter to Richard Watson Gilder, editor of The Century Magazine.

"The incident occurred while a group of passengers were late at night purchasing their sleeping car places from the conductor who stood on the station platform at the entrance of the car. The platform was about the height of the car floor, and there was of course a narrow space between the platform and the car body. There was some crowding, and I happened to be pressed by it against the car body while waiting my turn. In this situation the train began to move, and by the motion I was twisted off my feet, and had dropped somewhat, with feet downward, into the open space, and was personally helpless, when my coat collar was vigorously seized and I was quickly pulled up and out to a secure footing on the platform. Upon turning to thank my rescuer I saw it was Edwin Booth, whose face was of course well known to me, and I expressed my gratitude to him, and in doing so, called him by name."

Booth did not know the identity of the man whose life he had saved until some months later, when he received a letter from a friend, Colonel Adam Badeau, who was an officer on the staff of General Ulysses S. Grant. Badeau had heard the story from Robert Lincoln, who had since joined the Union Army and was also serving on Grant's staff. In the letter, Badeau gave his compliments to Booth for the heroic deed. The fact that he had saved the life of Abraham Lincoln's son was said to have been of some comfort to Edwin Booth following his brother's assassination of the president.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Booth
I'd rather slam my nose in a car door. I'd rather have a proctologist named Dr. Hook. I would rather watch Roseanne Barr do a striptease than give up my MVOhio.

Offline gunslinger

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 10:44:07 PM »
Yea, I know it's an old thread, but it's still pretty interesting.  Give it a bump.
I'd rather slam my nose in a car door. I'd rather have a proctologist named Dr. Hook. I would rather watch Roseanne Barr do a striptease than give up my MVOhio.

Offline phred

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 03:06:23 PM »
 :ranger:

Very interesting !  I am familiar with Edwin's
       accomplishments, but had not known of this
       interaction with Robert.

Thanks.

Offline Uptothree5

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 01:52:52 PM »
I consider Abraham Lincoln to be the greatest president of the USA and I prepared a little article, general information about him, follow the link http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/abraham-lincoln-essay

The following users thanked this post: cateyes

Offline cateyes

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »
interesting your writing.

....ever read the book  How Lincoln stole the election?  by a Kenyon College alumni

you would enjoy reading it...the author did a lot of research following tips/ information most do not even know exist..I had the great pleasure to hear the author speak about his research when he gave a local talk

I consider Abraham Lincoln to be the greatest president of the USA and I prepared a little article, general information about him, follow the link http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/abraham-lincoln-essay